Until the second half of the 19th century, oil production was limited and a primitive method was applied. The basic method of oil extraction was to bail it out from the wells. To refine oil into petrol the primitive method of straight distillation was used. However, during World War I, the petrol produced by using this method could not cover all the existing needs as the yield of the product was too low, only 15%. The 20th century gave many technologies to improve efficiency of oil processing.
First, it began by using the process of thermal cracking when high boiling-point oil (400-500º С) fractions crack and molecules of gaseous and liquid hydrocarbons smaller than the molecular mass originate. This method allowed for an increase in the quantity of light-oil products derived from oil.
But the petrol produced in this way contained many unsaturated paraffin hydrocarbons and was unstable as well as low-octane. The improvement of the combustion engine required high-octane petrol, quality diesel, jet and other types of fuel. As a result, the secondary methods of oil refining, mostly catalytic ones that are catalytic cracking, catalytic reforming (platformating), hydrocracking, hydro treatment, became more and more important in the oil refining industry.
We design engineering units for oil refining plants, oil and gas plants and chemical productions:
- crude oil distillation
- hydro-treating of petrol produced using catalytic cracking
- diesel fuel hydro-treating
- catalytic cracking
- gas fractionation
- hydrogen generation
We also design installations for high oil refining, goods and raw materials bases, and off-site facilities.
Currently, about a half of the world’s oil resources have been extracted and approximately 80% of all organic chemical products are produced using oil and gas. It is evident that in the future technologies such as high oil refining will always become more valuable.
The production volume in the oil refining and oil and gas industry was considerably reduced in the period of economic reforms of the 1990s. Because of the abrupt reduction of the internal oil consumption, the capacity of oil refining plants declined up to 48%. That reduced the efficiency of oil refining and the quality of oil products. The average oil refining efficiency in Russia was about 67.4% in 1999, and only Omsk oil refining plant, one of our clients, reached 81.5%, close to the standards of Western Europe and the U.S.. Today, many oil plants in Russia are more concerned about their future. There is a need to reconstruct, modernize and replace worn-out and obsolete equipment with new ones.
We are ready to participate in such projects of any scale and level. Omskneftehimproekt is the best equipped project institute in Russia. In the 1990s when the common practice was to overload old Soviet equipment, during that period we had already invested in the software complying with the global standards.
We were the first in the country to buy the newest computers and software tools (many of them cost dozens of times more than the other computers). The combination of different types of equipment and software tools allows us to provide the technology missing in the analogue Russian enterprises, and we are ready to offer it to our customers.
- SAP: enterprise resource management
- Aspen Icarus: analysis based upon construction results
- Automatics: design automation, revamp and operation of control and monitoring system
- Primavera Enterprise: a project management tool which enables to monitor and control all changes and alterations in Progress Chart duly, to have regard to the specific nature of each department and the design technologies as well as to coordinate the activities of various project participants;
- AspenTech: process optimization at an enterprise level based on linear model and considering the market opportunities for product yield enhancement to the maximum extent;
- Documentum: document management system within the company;
- Aspen Basic Engineering (ZYQAD): enables to improve the quality and efficiency of engineering calculations and to reduce project implementation period
- SmartPlant P&ID: SP P&ID generation, SPI design, SPElec design and support, SP3D design (SPF 3D model visual fusion) etc.
- PDMS, AVEVA, SmartPlant 3D: 3D design, simulation of complex production facilities for construction objects.
- ISOGEN, AutoDesk Building Systems, Inventor, MDT, Tank: enables to review the result of overall institute activities within a sole model, to avoid discrepancies and to increase significantly the design pace.
- ANSYS: strength analysis, Finite Element Analysis (FEA) (linear strength calculations, dynamic analysis, vibration analysis etc.).
- PVElite: software for engineering design and analysis of tanks and pressure vessels for the item in general and for individual elements (wall thickness analysis for the shell ring, bottom head, flange calculation etc.) as per international standards;
- Caesar II: pipelines strength analysis in accordance with API
- Start: pipelines strength analysis in accordance with СА
We also offer many other things. Our colleagues and peers from other engineering enterprises always say, “Omsk always gets the best!” Today, there is no other institute in Russia other than us who is able to participate independently in any big international project; the others cannot because they lack the necessary software (for example, 3-D project modelling).
We are constantly retraining, undertaking courses, e.g., at the Academy of the State Committee of the Russian Federation for Construction and Housing and Utility Complex, at Neftekhim Institution of Advanced Training, etc. We are familiar with the norms of the State Committee for Supervision of Industrial and Mining Practices, the State Fire Service Directorate, and the applicable job safety norms.
Different seminars are held at the institute: the internal department seminars are carried out by the leading specialists. Our work would be impossible without advanced training.
Now is the time when acquired experience combined with newest technologies allows us to carry out international projects. That is why we are certain that we can conduct a fruitful and interesting business partnership with a growing number of customers not only in Russia but all over the world.